How do I donate stock?

Appreciated stock

You can enjoy significant tax advantages when you transfer securities, instead of donating cash, to GlobalGiving:

If you held the stock for at least one year, you receive a tax deduction for the full value of the stock at the time of donation (not just the amount you paid for the stock). You avoid paying both capital gains tax and stock sales commissions. (Brokerage fees are paid out of your donation, however.) As a result, you can give your favorite nonprofits larger gifts by donating stock rather than cash.

Please let us know the name of your broker and describe the shares you are donating (which company, how many shares, an estimate of the total value). We will give our broker this information so your gift will be recognized when it comes into our account. Please send this information to our mailing address (1110 Vermont Avenue NW, Suite 550, Washington, DC 20005), fax us at (202) 315-2558, or email us at If you hold the stock certificate or the stock certificate is held at a bank or trust company, contact us for help with the transfer (202) 232-5784.

When making the transfer, please write the Project ID or name of the project you would like to give to. If you would like to get email updates on the project, please also write your email address.

Depreciated stock

If you would like to donate stock that has depreciated in value since you bought it, it may be to your advantage to sell the stock and write a check to GlobalGiving. Often, you can claim a loss and pay less in taxes. As always, however, you should consult a tax advisor about your particular circumstances.

Your broker will need the following information:

GlobalGiving brokerage account:
UBS Financial Services Inc.
Account#: HK00866-4P
DTC#: 0221

UBS contact: Peter B. Martin
phone (201) 441-4067
fax (888) 497-3102

GlobalGiving contact: James Beresh 
1110 Vermont Avenue NW 
Suite 550 
Washington, DC 20005 
Phone: 202-232-5784 
Toll Free: 1-877-605-2314 
Fax: 202-315-2558 

You may need the following information: GlobalGiving is a non-profit with 501(c)3 tax-exempt status, Federal ID #: 30-0108263 Please remember to let us know the name of your broker and the shares you are donating. It will help us recognize your gift when it comes in.

Was this article helpful?
4 out of 5 found this helpful