GlobalGiving offers a suite of planned giving solutions to fit a wide range of needs. Our goal is to make planned giving as easy as possible and honor your charitable aspirations and intentions. Learn more about donating appreciated stock through GlobalGiving and join us on the journey to accelerate community-led change.
Benefits of Donating Stock
Giving appreciated securities can save hundreds or even thousands of dollars versus a cash gift—allowing you to better maximize your contributions to GlobalGiving:
- If you held the stock for at least one year, you receive a tax deduction for the full value of the stock at the time of donation (not just the amount you paid for the stock).
- You avoid paying both capital gains tax and stock sales commissions. When you give appreciated stocks directly to charity, your gift can be up to 20% larger because you avoid the taxes you’d incur from selling and donating the cash. As a result, you can have a greater impact by donating stock rather than cash.
Ways to Donate Appreciated Stock*
- Give Stock Online:GlobalGiving utilizes FreeWill’s intuitive step-by-step web tool to allow individuals and financial advisors to make giving appreciated assets easy.
- Click here to access GlobalGiving’s FreeWill Stock tool and click the “Donate Stock Today” button.
- Financial advisors should utilize the form found here on FreeWill’s website.
- Give Stock via Wire Transfer: To give via wire transfer, your broker will need the following information. Please email email@example.com the details of the shares you are donating and which project, or projects, to designate your donation.
- Stock Transfer Information:
GlobalGiving brokerage account:
UBS Financial Services Inc.
UBS contact: Josie Vitetta
Our offices are located at:
1 Thomas Circle NW
Washington, DC 20005
US Toll Free: +1.877.605.2314
You may also need the following information: GlobalGiving is a non-profit with 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status, Federal ID #: 30-0108263.
*Let us know:
For your gift to be recognized when it comes into our account, please email us details of the shares you are donating and which project or projects to designate your donation to. Please send this email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you hold the stock certificate or the stock certificate is held at a bank or trust company, contact us for help with the transfer at 202232-5784.
- Multiple designations: You are welcome to designate your donation to multiple projects with a single transaction. The total value of the stock will not be known at the time of the transfer until after it is sold. If you are donating to more than one project, please provide either a by-share or by-percentage breakdown of which projects you would like your donation to go to.
How to Donate Depreciated Stock
If you would like to donate stock that has depreciated in value since you bought it, it may be to your advantage to sell the stock and write a check to GlobalGiving. Often, you can claim a loss and pay less in taxes. As always you should consult a tax advisor about your particular circumstances.
Please mail any letters or check donations to:GlobalGiving, 1 Thomas Circle NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20005, USA.