GlobalGiving offers a suite of planned giving solutions to fit a wide range of needs. Our goal is to make planned giving as easy as possible and honor your charitable aspirations and intentions. Learn more about donating stock through GlobalGiving and join us on the journey to accelerate community-led change.
- To donate: To donate appreciated stock please reach out to our broker at UBS, Pat Short at email@example.com to transfer your shares.
- Designate to a project: For your gift to be recognized when it comes into our account, please email us details of the shares you are donating and which project or projects to designate your donation. Please send this email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Multiple designations: You are welcome to designate your donation to multiple projects with a single transaction. The total value of the stock will not be known at the time of the transfer until after it is sold. If you are donating to more than one project, please provide either on a by share or by percentage breakdown of which projects you would like your donation to go to.
- Stock certificates: If you hold the stock certificate, or the stock certificate is held at a bank or trust company, contact our broker at UBS, Pat Short at email@example.com
If you would like to donate stock that has depreciated in value since you bought it, it may be to your advantage to sell the stock and write a check to GlobalGiving. Often, you can claim a loss and pay less in taxes. As always you should consult a tax advisor about your particular circumstances.
You can enjoy significant tax advantages when you transfer securities to GlobalGiving:
- If you held the stock for at least one year, you receive a tax deduction for the full value of the stock at the time of donation (not just the amount you paid for the stock).
- You avoid paying both capital gains tax and stock sales commissions. (Brokerage fees are paid out of your donation, however.) As a result, you can give your favorite non-profits larger gifts by donating stock rather than cash.
GlobalGiving brokerage account:
UBS Financial Services Inc.
UBS contact: Pat Short
GlobalGiving contact: James Beresh
1110 Vermont Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20005
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
You may need the following information: GlobalGiving is a non-profit with 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status, Federal ID #: 30-0108263 Please remember to let us know the name of your broker and the shares you are donating. It will help us recognize your gift when it comes in.